Cindy's Romantic Era Blog

                                                         The Nightmare:Henry Fuseli~1781
Henry Fuseli The Nightmare Framed Painting for sale - paintingandframe.com


      This piece is currently located in the Detroit Institute of Arts and the creating place of the painting is unkown. The painting is an example of dark romanticism. There is a women who is in a deep trance while an incubus, a type of spirit, crouches on her chest. This creature is believed to torture people while they sleep, giving them nightmares and making them feel unsafe while asleep. 
The used of dark colors in this painting gives you the sense that what is going on is evil. The women is wearing white, which has the impression that she is pure but everything around her is not or that the incubus is making her impure. It is said that the women is covered in light which many people have said could mean many different things, it just depends on your perspective. 
In the dark romanticism theme, specifically talking about this painting, the artist is trying to express that women may seem pure on the outside, but have impure thoughts and actions as well. 
I would not personally own this piece of art because I don't really like the meaning behind it or the actual painting itself, however, I did enjoy learning about it and the artists thoughts and ideas while creating this painting.  

Saturn Devouring His Son:Francisco Goya~1819-1823
Which image, in your opinion, unveils the greatest description or  definition of being astrologically challenged? - Quora
This piece is currently located in Museo Nacional de Prado, the creation place is unknown. This painting is another example of dark romanticism. This is supposed to represent the Greek myth of Titan Cronus eating his children one by one after being born. 
You can clearly tell by looking that Titan Cronus is crazy, this facial features, hair, and body shape is created to be known that he is unstable and will act out of rage without feeling the consequences. His eyes are popping out of his head and his body is deformed which is an unpleasant sight. The child he is eating is young and is partially eaten already. The colors in. this are pretty neutral, partially because there isn't anything else going on so the color is just Titan Cronus and his sons skin. However, the red bloods is vibrant and is made to catch your eye by glancing. 
I would not own this piece because the meaning behind it I think is terrible and the art itself is scary to look at. I respect that it was made after the Greek myth and I do think that the story is an interesting one, so it's neat that Goya was able to tell the story in a painting. 

Hunting in the Pontine Marshes:Horace Vernet~1833
Hunting in the Pontine Marshes" Horace Vernet - Artwork on USEUM


This painting is currently located in the National Gallery of Art and the creation of the painting was in France. This painting is an example of bright romanticism. As you can tell, there is a warm feeling when you glance at this painting instead of an uneasy feeling like when looking at the other two. 
In the water, there are two men with a dog floating in their boat down the path. They have a gun in case something dangerous occurs. Beside the men and dog, there are bright flowers and greenery everywhere with an overwhelming sense of peace next to the forest. 
The artist did an amazing job with the light he let in and the shadows around to help you understand that there is a forest behind the light. Perhaps the dark forest is made to be dangerous and that is why the men have a gun. Beyond the light is where all the evil in the world is perhaps. 
I wouldn't own this piece but I really enjoy looking at it, the feeling it gives off is very pleasant. 


Bridal Procession on the Hardangerfjord:Hans Guide & Adolph Tidemand~1848
Bridal Procession on the Hardangerfjord


This piece is currently located in the National Gallery and was created in Norway. The painting is another example of bright romanticism. The painting gives off a pleasant sight to the eyes and also a very calming sense. 
There are two artists in that created this painting and they both did a good job at making sure there was lots of light and natural colors of the earth. The people in the boat are having a good time on a beautiful day with the mountains right beside them as well as the clear greenish-blueish water under them. The people in the small village right next to them are going about their business it seems with not any issues in their world.
I love this piece and I would have it in my house. It seems like a very peaceful day with a lot of fun ahead. This piece and, Hunting in the Pontine Marshes, incorporate nature which I think is why they are more on the bright side of romanticism than the dark side. Also, the people in this painting and the one before have people who are not misshapen or angry looking, but quite happy and content. 



Sources: 

Paulson, Dr. Noelle, and Dr. Noelle Paulson. “Henry Fuseli, the Nightmare.”https://smarthistory.org/henry-fuseli-the-nightmare/

Dr. Beth Harris and Dr. Steven Zucker, et al. “Francisco Goya, Saturn Devouring One of His Sons.” Smarthistory, https://smarthistory.org/goya-saturn-devouring-one-of-his-sons/

“Saturn Devouring His Son (1819-23).” Saturn Devouring His Son, Goya: Analysishttp://www.visual-arts-cork.com/paintings-analysis/saturn-devouring-his-son.htm

“Hunting in the Pontine Marshes.” Art Object Page,  https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.70970.html

“Hunting in the Pontine Marshes - Horace Vernet.” https://useum.org/artwork/Hunting-in-the-Pontine-Marshes-Horace-Vernet-1833

Gude, Hans, and Adolph Tidemand. “Hans Gude, Adolph Tidemand, Bridal Procession on the Hardangerfjord – Nasjonalmuseet – Collection.” Nasjonalmuseet, 1 Jan. 1970, https://www.nasjonalmuseet.no/en/collection/object/NG.M.00467

Comments

  1. I am glad you were able to describe what was going on in both Romantic style paintings, or else I would not have had a clue. Like how the incubus was sitting on the woman’s chest, I had no idea what that was. I like how you point out that colors used have different meanings, like the white the woman is wearing means she is pure. I think that makes the whole thing stand out. I don’t think I would pick this painting for my house either though. I think it would scare my kids if I told them the story.
    As for the Saturn Devouring His Son painting, this does a great job of depicting crazy and impulsive behavior of Saturn. Not just the fact that he is eating his son, but also because of the way he is painted. This is a creepy painting, and I would not like it in my home.
    Hunting in the Pontine Marshes does put off a much warmer feeling than the other two of the Romantic style. The artist did do a great job placing the light. I am not sure the gun is for protection though. Given the name of the painting, “Hunting in the Pontine Marshes”, I would think the men and the dog might be perhaps on a hunting trip. But maybe not, maybe they are being hunted. The forest around them does look a bit shady. (No pun intended 😊)
    I like the “Bridal Procession on the Hardangerfjord”. It does give off a sense of calmness as you suggested. The detail in the water makes it look so real. The colors are very realistic, and it almost looks like a photograph. It is a pleasant and calming painting to look at. I think I would love to have it in my home. This is a great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,
    I was convinced I had picked the most striking and interesting paintings but I am stunned by Saturn devouring his son painting by Francisco Goya. It is so visceral and makes my stomach queasy. I have seen many different Gorey and obscene things but this is the first painting to make me feel something physical, its disgust but still, I am impressed. I love how descriptive you are with the emotions and facial expressions, diving into the details behind the paint so to speak. I agree with you, I think the painting is scary and intense with dark tones and story but I think even though I do not like the painting I would still like to own it. I like art that can give me emotional and physical reactions, I think that is the best kind of art as it is the most powerful and impactful. I could see 100 landscapes and eventually they all kind of blend together but this is so unique and bold, dark and sad. Capturing greed and fear. Excellent post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cindy's Non-Western Blog

Cindy's Mid Modern Art Blog

Cindy Nafpliotis Introduction Blog